History Meeting 4-10-2015
March Attendees: Eva Ashford, Shann Caldwell, Billie Mooney, Marge Shipp, Bobby Alfred, Betty Minich, Cheyenne Archer, Carl Williams.
Meeting called to order; Secretary and Treasurer Report was read and approved.
Decision was made to publish Mike Crawford’s book with the new addendum.
Discussion was made to put ads in papers and on the radio to announce upcoming meetings and to get people involved into the club. Next meeting on May 8, 2015 will be in the Country Cottage Cafe at noon in Thayer.
Discussion about having representatives from different regions responsibility for notification of meetings and soliciting for new and younger members by getting the schools involved.
Decision was voted on and approved having students to investigate and write their family history and stories to put in an essay for the scholarship.
Money for 2 large pictures to present to the City of Mammoth Springs for the Fulton Co Civil War marker dedication was voted on and approved for the sum of $150. Shann will take care of that.
Discussion was made for Marge to interview and tape those who don’t wish to write their family stories. A motion was made to give Marge freedom to buy a new recorder/phone. The price is left to Marge’s discretion. The motion was seconded and voted on with the society approving the motion.
- May 26th possible meeting with Bill Combs
- Motion was made and second to order 50 more Bill Combs books. It was approved.
- May 30th Alton 10 am to 2 pm Book signing and visiting with Bill Combs.
- May 30th Alton homecoming book sales.
- Date set for election of officers to be at June meeting.
1. We still need to decide on who will make the book shelves and where they should be placed in stores.
2. We still need to find representatives for each area of Oregon County to be responsible for alerting club activities in their area.
3. We still need to think about setting new time for meeting. If meeting is changed to a different time; we will have to find a new meeting place.
Books: Need stories for Book 2 by 2015. Gathering stories and pictures
A plane crash in1947 was witnessed by Marge Shipp. She is to write the story for us.
OC Storybook by Bill Combs in process. Proof print passed around. In edit. Will add pictures.
Joe Senn and Anita Caldwell donated “Warm Fork” book for republishing.
Discussion of Jenny’s wishes to publish Max Evan’s book under Down Home Pubs with the proceeds to going to the club when sold, but club needs to help with the cost of labor in publishing the books. This was not brought up for discussion as we ran out of time.
We need to think about getting the Warm Fork book published. This is going to be a lengthy process, so we left it to be discussed in June meeting.