History Meeting Agenda: Attendees (Marge S, Billie M., Mary, Lindan, Nikki, Eva, D.J., Ken, Atticus, Mathew, Dan, Mike, Joe Dan, Nikki, Elaine.Shann)
Meeting Called to Order, Secretary’s report, Treasurer’s Report approved.
Digital History Book:
Sample book’s returned for final proof. (Costs $2.15 to publish, Price now set at $10.00, need price for selling content to other books).
- Image placement finished. Layout adjusted. Then try indexing.
- Found a way to do indexing in the back but need to test it. (Adobe program and Virginia Systems). Need cost of each system and to test.
- Need to set up and test online ordering procedures. Will happen after sample book complete.
Presold almost 100 books. Set $30.00 as tentative book price with discounting via Amazon and locally. Getting interest from the internet.
Estimate $600-$1000. May need help from createspace.com (Amazon’s publishing group) . The intent is to do everything we can locally
Need many stories for the new book starting in January. Received story on Timber Industry.
- Suggestions on going through churches and other groups for stories. Set deadline for stories to be around January 1, 2015
- Planning for scholarship to be awarded at Summer meeting. Letter sent to counsellors. Will put in the paper and call schools.
- Shann: Cemetary headstones for Civil War Soldiers. Looking at site to be designated s a National Heritage site at “Old George Martin Farm.” Talking with owner about how to protect. Will have plan for a fence.
- Shann: Ceremony to place headstone at Clifton Cemetary on May 24, 205
- Granny Blue Day and story November 16, 2014. Get proclamations signed. Press release written but will postpone letting them go Find ancestors.
- Civil War Re-enactment at Fort Davis the 26th, 27th and 29th near Pilot Knob
- WPA may have listed indian villages during their projects. Not online but one member will ask a living member.
- Mathew brought article on indians. Posted. Not true.
- Mary Lea brought two Reading, Writing and Arithmetic books which we will be able to sell to raise money. She has about 100.
- The Franke’s volunteered to help organize the new book info while Jenny is finishing the reprint.
- 3 scholarship submissions – members will read before June meeting.
- Combs History Book from Rosalee. 2 purchased by members. Will buy 2 for library. Combs will donate some.
- Old Thayer movie provided by Billie M. shown by Ken F.
Next Meeting 06/14/2014
- Dave Bailey will talk about the Indian bones found on Warm Fork